Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Hip Hop...you're totally in or you're out!

I grew up in the suburbs when I lived in Africa. Most people don’t think of African countries as “white,” but where I grew up, this was definitely the case. However, I went to schools there with a number of white people and black people, it was pretty much even. Hip hop in my teen years was what got you the card to join the “in crowd.” If you could dance, you were cool…but it had to be Hip Hop. There, both black and white kids enjoyed Hip Hop without the pressure of an opposing race telling them it wasn’t for them. In fact, all of my white friends listened to some Hip Hop along with Pop music which was fine with everyone. This is where I agree with Kitwana, that most white kids who listen to Hip Hop don’t necessarily want to be black...they just love the music or enjoy dancing to it.


It was interesting when I came to America and entered the high school system here. Hip Hop seemed strictly a black people thing and if you listened to Hip Hop as well as white, you were definitely trying to be black…WHAT? I never understood this! Upon my arrival, many of my peers assumed that just because I was black I knew how to dance and of course I listened to Hip Hop music. I was soon deemed not “black enough” but the few blacks that were in the school when they realized I didn’t eat, live, sleep Hip Hop. To me, music was music. Kitwana talks about how when we speak about Hip Hop today, we are also referring to the “Hip Hop language, fashion, style, sensibility and worldview.” This explains a lot to me because all of a sudden, I realize why it was so hard to be an American Eagle wearing girl and listen to Hip Hop every once in a while. I even remember losing my “black card” according to my black peers when was humming Carrie Underwood’s song, “Jesus take the wheel.” It was crazy…how do you lose your black card when you’re black?

The many faces of Hip Hop culture. What to wear if you’re a girl:
First, get the latest kicks…

Get the latest clothing by a Hip Hop icon. It’s even better if their logo is visible for all to see:

Get yourself some Timbs…a staple in Hip Hop culture:

Sooo….later on I used Hip Hop as a way to rebel when things at home were getting a little crazy. My parents have always thought it was a lot of noise and so I started “jamming.” It’s funny…I even went out and bought a pair of Timberland boots and a few Baby Phat clothing pieces to prove to my black peers that I was indeed black. I began using words and phrases like hola, it’s tight, catch you on the flip side, hommie, crib, jack…the list I endless. For some, Hip Hop is a sign of rebellion like Kitwana talks about and boy did I feel empowered which is what he talks about too.

No comments:

Post a Comment