Tuesday, December 1, 2009

People of Color

Wilson & Gutierrez article “Advertising and People of Color,” really opened my eyes to a number of issues I wasn’t observant of. ( It’s funny, I just went to the refrigerator to see if could find other incriminating paraphernalia that would fit into what they were talking about). I believe it’s always an issue when people within a certain race or ethnic group are unable to control what is released about them. People of color in films, movies, magazines and other media related outlets are having their stories told by powerful white producers who are in the driving seats. Wilson & Gutierrez also talk about the fact that these products which often have the “other” race are being marketed and designed with a white audience in mind. This is even more disturbing to me.

This ad for Aunt Jemima Pancake mix was unbelievable. I can’t believe that at one point people actually had these kinds of things on their shelves. Then again, they probably thought it was upholding the black mammy. After being mistreated behind closed doors while raising someone elses children and cooking for the family, she probably saw this as her chance to shine. This probably goes the same for Rustus who supposedly a black chef in Michigan. In one picture I found online, he’s educating a group of black children about his secret recipe.
How about this comic that I came across. It really is crazy that this kind of stuff was out there and around for a while. What were they thinking?
The link below will probably give you a closer reading of the comic.
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgY07vNSTJbH-99a5t4lxd5DykOehyphenhyphenbePWzQdCzOYBJStnaD2uzB3wDnnG1Mvu7jsCPHJ2SVsN5ZT3hFxXWlXNjYhDTqCmm8PalYKnJ2bthUCwysonN5ObWw60wWZokhP3qY8l1gmKYASmh/s1600-h/Aunt+Jemima+comic.jpg

Here’s another example I found online that the authors talked about from that period. I’m sure if we look in our cupboards a little more carefully, we’re sure to be surprised.

According to the authors of this article, companies pitching their products while stereotyping individuals has been done forever, and I agree. I think this is even the case with women always being used in commercials for cleaning products and vacuum cleaners. This may be the argument that my other fellow bloggers may use when it comes to somewhat justifying this, but I think when it comes to race or ethnicity, it’s a very sensitive topic. This is particularly so because those different ethnic groups have a history of mistreatment here in our country.

In high school, we were the Indiana Indians. Twice a year we would all gather in the high school gymnasium at a Pep rally and show “school spirit” singing “Go Indiana Go…!” Just as we would finish doing the wave all the way around the gym Jimmy would come out. Jimmy was a student at our school who had down-syndrome and he was always the Indian who would then come out dressed like an “Indiana Indian” and take a lap around the gym at the beat of the drum with the cool music behind it. It was all good right? WRONG! I’m actually quite embarrassed that I ever partook in such events and used the black shoe polish under my eyes. Somebody tell me what I was thinking!? I also question why we always used Jimmy each year to do the famous run around the gym at the pep rally. It just seems so wrong thinking about it now.

Below is a picture of my high school...with the Indiana Indian on the school board.

King does an excellent job at bringing out both viewpoints by his online analysis. It really is interesting how some people are so passionate and yet, in my not so significant opinion, are so completely wrong. I think of what it would feel like having someone come out on a field dressed up in “black face” and pretend to be black and have everyone sing black spirituals. It really is that sensitive and I think people should start looking at it like that.

1 comment:

  1. There is no negativity with the Indian at all. Everyone in Indiana takes pride in it. Its not like we are making fun of a race, we are honoring them, so it should offend no one. It also keeps history alive with how Indiana got its name. You can look into this for yourself.

    ReplyDelete