Tuesday, December 15, 2009

You've been BAMBOOZLED!

Spike Lee's, "Bamboozled" is probably one of the most racist movies I have ever watched. However, it addresses issues that need to be talked about when it comes to the representation of African Americans on TV. His movie is a satire, and it probably took me a while to understand it even though Pierre De LaCroix clearly mentions what a satire is at the beginning of the movie. It's definitely not a, "sit down with a big bag of popcorn" movie or a date night movie. I did though watch it with my boyfriend as he is one of Spike Lee's fan's.
I think "Bamboozled" addressed 2 major issues:
The misrepresentation of blacks in the hands of white producers, directors etc
And "Black Situation C0medy" in general....is it really genre that can be set apart from the history of black representation in the past.

Robin Means Coleman, whom I have grown to love, addresses this issue of blacks being told to act black and given scripts by white producers and directors on how they should act. Should black people be really told what to do and how to act in the show? Does this not lead to negative stereotypes being regurgitated over and over again. This is what happened when it came to Amos'n'Andy in the past. They were originally in "black-voice" over the radio but when TV's began appearing in most households, the people who had originally been the voice overs had to train the African-American's who then went on and acted on TV. They were portrayed as buffoons and coons. It was just so wrong. In one of the scenes, they are all sitting around a table and it's just white people trying to help with the ideas of a black comedy. More representation is needed not only with actors and actresses, but behind the scenes to in-order for blacks to be portrayed in a way that is consistent with their histories and ways of life (Means Coleman, 2000).

Another issue I think addresses is the genre of "Black Situation Comedy." When I sit down and watch a black sitcom, I am almost always guaranteed of stereotypes that will be perpetuated. For may people, the idea of sitting down to watch and laugh at black people is so reminiscent of minstrel times. Should we really be doing this? Pierre De LaCroix played by Damon Wayans says in one the scenes at the end of the movie, "just make to keep them laughing." Really??? Why should we be laughed at? Hasn't this happened for the last 2oo or so years since slavery? I'm not saying I don't love comedies but I question the ideologies ingrained.

Well that's my 2 cents...Farewell for now my fellow blog-followers :)

No comments:

Post a Comment