Thursday, September 3, 2009

Talk about stereotyping!



So the other day, my wonderful boyfriend was given a DVD with a new and upcoming comedian called Kevin Hart. He was really excited for me to listen to it since he had already gone through the DVD earlier. When he put it in, I was to say the least appalled at the language. I'm not a fan of anything that overuses or unnecessarily uses profane language. So he pulled it out.
He then engaged me in a discussion about comedians and profanity among comedians. I thought that if the comedians were Christian, it would change everything. That's what I thought he should be watching. So Bobby, as this man I love is named, came to me with this clip. To say the least, I have no faith in any kind of comedians anymore.

Richard Dyer in his article on stereotypes mentions the fact that stereotypes aid us in "ordering" things as well as "expressing our values and beliefs." He also mentions in his article that the word is "today almost always a term of abuse." This guy, Bob Smiley, amazed me. In his act, he mentions how police officers can now catch gang members easily because of the fact that their pants are below their waist line...mmm. To stereotype a group of people just because they wear their pants below their waist is wrong. I agree with the article that the "effectiveness of stereotypes resides in the way they invoke a consensus." People almost put it in their heads that this is what this kind of social group is like and when I see someone for e.g. wearing baggy pants, they are in a gang. The average person will probably not go any further to find out more about an individual who dresses like this, and I can the imagine the average parent will warn their daughters or sons about befriending people who "dress like this." I agree that , as the article on stereotypes states, "stereotypes can be a shortcut," but to solemnly swear by a stereotype someone else has created, to me is wrong.
So much for a comic relief....

No comments:

Post a Comment